Coffee Ice Cream Recipe
This coffee ice cream is absolutely delicious! The recipe was created for our Arctic Coffee Roll recipe, but it definitely stands on its own. Our favorite way to enjoy this ice cream is drizzled with a little chocolate syrup or Affogato style (served with hot coffee poured over top).
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
• Ice cream maker
• Sauce pan
• 1 cup whole milk
• 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons packed demerara sugar
• 1 1/2 cups double cream
• 4 medium egg yolks
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup whole coffee beans (we suggest our French Roast)
1. Heat together 1/2 cup of cream, whole coffee beans, milk and demerara sugar. Before it starts to simmer, turn off the heat, cover and let the mixture sit for 30 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl combine the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of demerara sugar. Stir mixture until sugar is dissolved.
NOTE: The next two steps help heat the eggs slowly, which keeps them from turning into scrambled egg.
3. Reheat the original mixture until it is hot, then slowly add a small portion to your egg/sugar mixture until the bowl is hot to the touch.
4. Add this back to the original mixture.
5. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes until thickened, and make sure to stir constantly. Do not let this reach a simmer.
6. Add the final 1 cup of cream to a bowl and place the bowl inside another bowl containing ice.
7. Pour the original mixture into the bowl containing the cream. Once it is cool, place in the fridge for a couple hours and preferably overnight.
8. When you are ready to make your ice cream, use a strainer with large holes to remove the coffee beans.
9. Follow instructions on your ice cream maker to make the ice cream.
Optional: Top with chocolate syrup for an ice cream mocha!