MOCHA CREAM SODA RECIPE
Our new favorite summertime drink was created by in-house food scientist Katie Rosenberg – inspired by her grandma's stories of enjoying egg cream sodas made at her local New York soda fountain shop.
What You Will Need:
- 237 milliliters Brewed Coffee (We used our French Roast)
- 100 grams cocoa powder
- 200 grams caster sugar
- Sparkling water (We used a sparkling mineral water)
- Milk of your choice
Coffee Chocolate Sauce:
Be forewarned – This recipe makes a lot of syrup, so be ready with an airtight container to store the extra for ice cream and more.
- Bring coffee, cocoa, and sugar to a light boil for three minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Assemble the Drink:
- Fill your favorite glass halfway up with milk.
- Add about a 1/2 inch of the coffee chocolate sauce and stir.
- Slowly (and we mean slowly!) add the sparkling water while gently stirring.
You won't see it bubbling up at first, but give it time and you'll see the foam begin to appear about 3/4 of the way to the top of the glass – and then it will foam quickly.
We also tried this recipe with lemon sparkling water and it turned out nicely.